Monday, November 7, 2011

Sharing a Gift - Pumpkin Bread

My dear friend Tammy Storms gave me one of my most favorite gifts ever many years ago in Charlotte, my very first Red & White Checked Better Homes & Garden's Cookbook. Tammy made the most delicious recipes from this cookbook and one day she said she had a surprise for me and had gotten me a copy of my very own.

One of the first things I prepared was Pumpkin Bread which now I like to make as muffins. I am not a big fan of the flavor of pumpkin but love this recipe because it's not too sweet but full of the flavor of the season with added spice. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have over the years.

Pumpkin Bread:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I add 2 tsp. cinnamon)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
14/ tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup raisins(optional)

In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, the brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin, milk, eggs, shortening.

Beat with electric mixer on low speed til blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, beat well. Stir in nuts and raisins (raisins optional).

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake on 350 for 60-65 minutes ot til toothpick insert in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the pan, cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 loaf.

For Muffins, do the same thing except place in greased muffin tins and bake for 35-40 minutes checking center of muffins with toothpick to be sure they are done. Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes then remove from muffin tin. Makes 12 muffins.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment