Wednesday, November 16, 2011

You've got to try this!!!

Good Evening!

Sorry it's been a few days since my last post, started work a week ago today and it has been busy. I really like it so far so hope that continues. It's one of those jobs where you don't really get a lunch hour, you eat at your desk which makes the day go by fast, you save on eating lunch out and you tend to eat healthier meals. It's a good thing!

I have been trying a variety of recipes from the Skinny Crock Pot group on Facebook and this one is by far my favorite. I never used to like to cook in a crockpot, not really sure the reason why other than recipes I tried never turned out. When we first moved to Florida, we in the move found the crock pot we received as a wedding gift and I decided to make my delicious pot roast recipe in it. Terry said to cook it on low for 8 hours, well it took about 2 days to get tender and it didn't taste anything like the one I made in the oven so I immediately gave up on the crock pot. With age and being adventurous, I have since made many delicious meals.

So back to this recipe. It's for Balsamic Chicken. This morning I put everything in the crock pot before I got ready for work, I have to say it took about 15-20 minutes for me to do it all (I had just woken up so that may have had something to do with the timing). When I left for work at 7:30 I turned the crock pot on low and 9 hours later when I returned home it was perfect, we actually didn't eat until 6:30 so it held up nicely for being in the crock pot all day. I made one change to the Skinny Crock Pot recipe, in lieu of adding the 2 cans of diced tomatoes at the end, I added 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth.

So here is the delicious recipe, be sure to put your items in crock pot in the order of the recipe, it is amazing how it turns out.

Ingredients:
4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (OR SUB 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth)
1 onion thinly sliced (Not chopped)
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp each: dried oregano, basil, and rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
ground black pepper and salt to taste

Preparation:

Pour the olive oil on bottom of crock pot
place in chicken breasts, salt and pepper each breast
put sliced onion on top of chicken
then put in all the dried herbs and garlic cloves
pour in vinegar and top with tomatoes (OR skip the tomatoes and top with 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth.

Cook on high 4 hours or cook on low (like I did) for 6-8 hours.

Absolutely delicious! Serve it over pasta or rice. If you'd like you can shred the chicken and serve like a soup. The flavors are incredible. BTW,I used fresh rosemary and a peeled a whole garlic bulb and added all the garlic cloves.

Hope you try it and like it. Have a great week.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment