Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 5 - Family Time, Lifestyle Plan, What a Week!

Sorry you haven't heard from me in several days, I've been out of pocket in Covington with my Mother, Aunt and Grandmother. We have laughed and cried this week. My dear Grandmother is 91 and suffering from a variety of issues including Congestive Heart Failure and CLL. She is getting quite forgetful on top of her illnesses. Crossroads was called in on Wednesday and we've spent a lot of quality time at the Assisted Living with her this week.

Yesterday was a like a scene from Steel Magnolia's, we took my Grandmother in the Beauty Shop room at the Assisted Living, Teresa cut and washed her hair, I dried and curled her hair and together we styled her hair. Mother took care of sweeping up the floors for us. It had been a while since my Grandmother had a hair cut so Teresa gave her a really cute stylish cut.

I have very few memories in my lifetime that do not include my Grandmother. Yesterday I found myself with a sewing kit and making her a decorative bag to velcro around the armrest of her wheelchair to hold her personal items. She had a decorative custom bag made for her walker several years ago but hasn't been able to use her walker since the first of the year. My Grandmother was a seamstress by trade, owned her own business and worked out of her home. Over the years, she's made me countless outfits, dresses, doll clothes, Halloween costumes, decorative pillows, tablecloths, etc. She could see a picture of something and make it without a store-bought pattern. She is so talented, it amazes me.

My Grandmother always believed in me, encouraged me, and taught me to be the person I am today. She read her bible and lived God's Word. I am so thrilled to be close enough to visit her on a regular basis now, several times a week. I always try to bring up stories from my childhood  and teenage years that she remembers and I love to see her face light up when she is thinking back on those times.

With the craziness of this week, I tried to stay on my Lifestyle Plan throughout the day as much as possible, I don't think I drank enough water but still feel good and confident on the Plan. Today is Day 5 and I have lost 5 lbs since Monday. I know that is mainly water weight but still makes me feel good. I try to weigh every 4 days, twice a week. For me, since I started the Lifestyle Plan on Monday, I will be weighing Mondays and Thursdays but this week, it was Mon/Fri.

I ask you to join me in praying for my Grandmother, my Role Model, my Rock. She is such an important person in my life, I pray she is rested, pain free and lucid for as long as she can be.

I will keep you updated on my progress and on my Grandmother. Have a blessed Friday and a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment